From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] chroot USE flag?
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 03:09:16
1 On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 02:54, Brandon Hale wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 08:52, Alvaro Figueroa Cabezas wrote:
3 >
4 > > Well, it the idea is to harden boxes, this chroot flag should
5 > > apply to every service thinkable... (And this is a _lot_ of work)
6
7 Its not that bad really and has many usefull uses outside of security
8 enviroments alone.
9
10 > I can't argue with that, but the initial goal would be to harden a few
11 > commonly used or notoriously insecure services. These include bind, ntpd
12 > and apache to name a few. I am currently working with the bind ebuild to
13 > adapt the chroot code to respect USE="chroot."
14
15 I will support this flag and will help out where I can, perhaps adopting
16 a script I've been using myself to chroot services on gentoo as an
17 eclass http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/gentoo.mkchroot. Then I/we should be
18 able to take the acls generated from grsec in learning mode to create
19 runtime package profiles which could be used to tell us what exactly
20 needs be in our chroot jail.
21
22 On another note I will be happy to pay the first person who codes
23 sys_jail() for linux as a kernel patch 2 magic beans and a pocket full
24 lint.
27 > > But is the idea is to really harden boxes, chroots should be forgoten,
28 > > and capabilities applied :).
29 >
30 > I'm not sure what you mean by capabilities, but I received a similar
31 > argument concerning SE Linux, whose superior security model negates the
32 > usefulness of chroot'ing a service. However, SE Linux is currently
33 > difficult to implement effectively and not a feasible choice for the
34 > average sysadmin. Chroot'ing key services could be nicely complemented
35 > by grsec's chroot hardening, and provide what I believe to be a workable
36 > solution to increase security in Gentoo.
39 Capabilities are basicly a repartition of roots permissions. Here is the
40 basic list of them
41 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/capabilities.xml
46 > --
47 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list