From: Brandon Hale <brandon@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] chroot USE flag?
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 02:37:15
1 On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 08:52, Alvaro Figueroa Cabezas wrote:
2
3 > Well, it the idea is to harden boxes, this chroot flag should
4 > apply to every service thinkable... (And this is a _lot_ of work)
5
6 I can't argue with that, but the initial goal would be to harden a few
7 commonly used or notoriously insecure services. These include bind, ntpd
8 and apache to name a few. I am currently working with the bind ebuild to
9 adapt the chroot code to respect USE="chroot."
10
11 > But is the idea is to really harden boxes, chroots should be forgoten,
12 > and capabilities applied :).
13
14 I'm not sure what you mean by capabilities, but I received a similar
15 argument concerning SE Linux, whose superior security model negates the
16 usefulness of chroot'ing a service. However, SE Linux is currently
17 difficult to implement effectively and not a feasible choice for the
18 average sysadmin. Chroot'ing key services could be nicely complemented
19 by grsec's chroot hardening, and provide what I believe to be a workable
20 solution to increase security in Gentoo.
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list