From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please follow keywording policy
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:27:29
1 > I don't really intend to drop my jobs to others - this isn't me, I take
2 > my responsibilities very seriously. But if you think you'll be doing a
3 > better job by taking it, please, be my guest. I don't want to appear as
4 > the guy who broked Gentoo's QA procedures...
5
6 Nobody is asking you to drop your job. However, what people are saying
7 is if you don't have hardware, then how can you properly maintain a
8 driver for it? If I didn't have any mips machines, how could I be a
9 member of the mips team? Instead of trying to maintain a bunch of
10 drivers that you can't test, why don't you recruit some more devs for
11 the dialup herd who do have such hardware? You can create a team that
12 coordinates through you to ensure good QA for these drivers.
15 > I'm only annoyed by the bad attitude of some devs who will get involved
16 > only what suits them, forgetting that if they would not help, no one
17 > will.
18
19 Again, other developers can only get involved (in this situation) if
20 they have hardware.
21
22 > Btw, what is the sense of ~arch if not "testing"? No gentooer
23 > expects from a ~arch ebuild to be stable, so the sky would not fall if
24 > you made a mistake and release it under this keyword. When I hear "I
25 > cannot mark foo library as ~arch because I don't know how to test it"
26 > smells like excuse to me.
27
28 Either you are confused or you are trying to turn this into a subtle
29 troll. This fork of the discussion started in reference to *stable*
30 keywording with respect to the rp-pppoe bug you used as an example. I
31 usually have no problem marking something ~arch if it compiles, since
32 ~arch just means it is a candidate for possibly becoming stable some
33 time in the future. Anyone using ~arch keywords should be prepared for
34 a bumpy ride. However, once that ebuild goes stable, in theory it
35 should JustWork(TM) with no problems. In this particular case, none of
36 the mips team could vouch that rp-pppoe JustWorks(TM).
37
38 > As for QA... does anyone think we *can* have proper QA procedures, with
39 > our release speed and decentralized development model?
40
41 Sure.
42
43 > And with only ...
44 > 350 devs from which God knows how many are still active? :-D
45 > Who thinks that clearly doesn't have a clue what QA means. It is
46 > practically impossible to test every combination of ebuilds/USE/CFLAGS
47 > so all we do is a surface test, letting the burden of testing on the
48 > shoulders of our users.
49
50 This is what ~arch is for.
51
52 > Despite of our unorthodox development process, many people believes
53 > (including me) that our distro surclass traditional ones and is
54 > generally more stable (go figure!).
55
56 I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Stating that we have an
57 excellent distro doesn't mean that we can bypass QA policy.
58
59 > Maybe I'm too exigent, but I only ask from people to do what I do : be
60 > genuinely interested in helping the devs who need it. Heck, I always try
61 > to help any gentooer, dev or not. We all have our little systems because
62 > our predecesors have worked on it, not because they sit down and
63 > debated whether to mark foo ebuild as ~arch or not.
64
65 Again, you are referring to ~arch, which is not what the original
66 problem was with.
69 Steve
70 --
71 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list