From: Alin Nastac <mrness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please follow keywording policy
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:57:22
1 Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2
3 >On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 20:56:51 +0200, Alin Nastac <mrness@g.o> wrote:
6 >>Okay, I buy it.
7 >>
8 >>a) Devs, who has a fcdsl, fcdsl2, fcdslsl, fcdslusb and/or fcdslslusb
9 >>(AVM FRITZ!Card DSL)? Step up and take net-dialup/fcdsl under your wing!
12 >I got two of these donated by AVM (fcdslusb and fcdslsl). And
13 >additionally a fcusb for net-dialup/fritzcapi
14 >I think all the AVM-drivers in the tree are covered by me.
15 >
16 >I dont think that it means that you are a bad maintainer when you do
17 >not own the hardware. But if you dont like the work you should not do
18 >it, please tell us then, I am ready to take over as much as I can to
19 >help you.
22 You already help me a lot, Stefan, and I thank you for that.
23
24 I don't really intend to drop my jobs to others - this isn't me, I take
25 my responsibilities very seriously. But if you think you'll be doing a
26 better job by taking it, please, be my guest. I don't want to appear as
27 the guy who broked Gentoo's QA procedures...
28
29 I'm only annoyed by the bad attitude of some devs who will get involved
30 only what suits them, forgetting that if they would not help, no one
31 will. Btw, what is the sense of ~arch if not "testing"? No gentooer
32 expects from a ~arch ebuild to be stable, so the sky would not fall if
33 you made a mistake and release it under this keyword. When I hear "I
34 cannot mark foo library as ~arch because I don't know how to test it"
35 smells like excuse to me.
36
37 As for QA... does anyone think we *can* have proper QA procedures, with
38 our release speed and decentralized development model? And with only ...
39 350 devs from which God knows how many are still active? :-D
40 Who thinks that clearly doesn't have a clue what QA means. It is
41 practically impossible to test every combination of ebuilds/USE/CFLAGS
42 so all we do is a surface test, letting the burden of testing on the
43 shoulders of our users.
44 Despite of our unorthodox development process, many people believes
45 (including me) that our distro surclass traditional ones and is
46 generally more stable (go figure!).
47
48 Maybe I'm too exigent, but I only ask from people to do what I do : be
49 genuinely interested in helping the devs who need it. Heck, I always try
50 to help any gentooer, dev or not. We all have our little systems because
51 our predecesors have worked on it, not because they sit down and
52 debated whether to mark foo ebuild as ~arch or not.
53
55 >>
56 >>In fact, who has any device that would work with some driver from
57 >>net-dialup? I don't have _any_ device at all!
60 >Do you have a dsl-connection?
61 >How do you connect to the internet?
64 I do have a dsl connection, but it is through a modem with an eth
65 interface, so I need no driver.