From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org, gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please follow keywording policy
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 04:34:27
1 Alin Nastac wrote: [Wed Mar 09 2005, 04:57:15PM CST]
2 > Btw, what is the sense of ~arch if not "testing"? No gentooer
3 > expects from a ~arch ebuild to be stable, so the sky would not fall if
4 > you made a mistake and release it under this keyword. When I hear "I
5 > cannot mark foo library as ~arch because I don't know how to test it"
6 > smells like excuse to me.
7
8 *Sigh* The meaning of ~arch is that, at a minimum, the package works
9 for the person who keyworded it (or, in some cases, worked for a trusted
10 user on whose behalf the package was keyworded). In other words, the
11 dev believes that the package works, and that belief is based on
12 evidence, not just wishful thinking. An "arch" keyword means that there
13 is considerable evidence that the package works for multiple people.
14 Packages that might work, but also might not, ideally should not be in
15 the tree at all, but could reasonably be package.mask'ed if testing is
16 imminent.
17
18 I'm pretty sure that I'm spouting the company line, here, but feel free
19 to correct me if I'm wrong.
20
21 -g2boojum-
22 --
23 Grant Goodyear
24 Gentoo Developer
25 g2boojum@g.o
26 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
27 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76