From: Alin Nastac <mrness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please follow keywording policy
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:36:44
1 Grant Goodyear wrote:
2
3 >Alin Nastac wrote: [Wed Mar 09 2005, 04:57:15PM CST]
6 >>Btw, what is the sense of ~arch if not "testing"? No gentooer
7 >>expects from a ~arch ebuild to be stable, so the sky would not fall if
8 >>you made a mistake and release it under this keyword. When I hear "I
9 >>cannot mark foo library as ~arch because I don't know how to test it"
10 >>smells like excuse to me.
14 >*Sigh* The meaning of ~arch is that, at a minimum, the package works
15 >for the person who keyworded it (or, in some cases, worked for a trusted
16 >user on whose behalf the package was keyworded). In other words, the
17 >dev believes that the package works, and that belief is based on
18 >evidence, not just wishful thinking. An "arch" keyword means that there
19 >is considerable evidence that the package works for multiple people.
20 >Packages that might work, but also might not, ideally should not be in
21 >the tree at all, but could reasonably be package.mask'ed if testing is
22 >imminent.
26 Not every time when I receive a new ebuild submittion, I also test that
27 package because this is not always possible. Usually, I add the new
28 ebuild with ~x86 and let testing to the user who request that. It may
29 not be the orthodox way, but the risk of breaking something else in the
30 process is 0 (a new ebuild means no other ebuilds depends on it).
31
32 Users don't usually come to me and say "that ebuild works for me". I
33 take silence as a sign that everything works. I am sure I'm not the only
34 one doing that.
35
36 I ask arches to mark a new ebuild as stable because a know bug have been
37 solved or because the old stable version breaks something else.