From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please follow keywording policy
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:56:37
1 On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 10:36 +0200, Alin Nastac wrote:
2 > Not every time when I receive a new ebuild submittion, I also test that
3 > package because this is not always possible. Usually, I add the new
4 > ebuild with ~x86 and let testing to the user who request that. It may
5 > not be the orthodox way, but the risk of breaking something else in the
6 > process is 0 (a new ebuild means no other ebuilds depends on it).
7
8 Add it as ~arch and p.mask it, or get more people to test it *while it
9 is still in bugzilla* until you are pretty sure that it works, *then*
10 add it.
11
12 If an ebuild has a DEPEND on >=foo-1.0 and you add foo-1.2, then it
13 *will* be pulled in as a dependency, so you can't possibly say that
14 nothing depends on it and be serious.
15
16 > Users don't usually come to me and say "that ebuild works for me". I
17 > take silence as a sign that everything works. I am sure I'm not the only
18 > one doing that.
19
20 No. Everyone else is making sure the ebuild works before adding it.
21 The truth is that you've just been lucky, so far.
22
23 > I ask arches to mark a new ebuild as stable because a know bug have been
24 > solved or because the old stable version breaks something else.
25
26 Great. Don't start a hissy fit on -dev when they don't mark it stable
27 because they can't test it. Especially when you haven't made a good
28 effort to contact them to resolve the problem. Airing your dirty
29 laundry out in public just makes you look white trash... ;] This isn't
30 Jerry Springer. We don't need to know who your baby's daddy is. A
31 simple email to the mips team could have kept all of this from even
32 being an issue.
35 Chris Gianelloni
37 Games - Developer
38 Gentoo Linux