From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please follow keywording policy
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:34:08
1 On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 00:57 +0200, Alin Nastac wrote:
2 > I'm only annoyed by the bad attitude of some devs who will get involved
3 > only what suits them, forgetting that if they would not help, no one
4 > will. Btw, what is the sense of ~arch if not "testing"? No gentooer
5 > expects from a ~arch ebuild to be stable, so the sky would not fall if
6 > you made a mistake and release it under this keyword. When I hear "I
7 > cannot mark foo library as ~arch because I don't know how to test it"
8 > smells like excuse to me.
9
10 You didn't ask for ~arch, you asked for stable. Also, testing doesn't
11 mean providing something that it broken. The testing branch is for
12 *ebuild testing* not package testing. A broken package should never be
13 added to the tree unless it is hard masked. You're seeming very quick
14 to point to others and lay blame, but I just don't think you get the
15 fact that there are others who take QA of their systems more seriously
16 than you do.
17
18 > As for QA... does anyone think we *can* have proper QA procedures, with
19 > our release speed and decentralized development model? And with only ...
20 > 350 devs from which God knows how many are still active? :-D
21 > Who thinks that clearly doesn't have a clue what QA means. It is
22 > practically impossible to test every combination of ebuilds/USE/CFLAGS
23 > so all we do is a surface test, letting the burden of testing on the
24 > shoulders of our users.
25
26 This is true to an extent. I know that I test ebuilds that I put into
27 portage with every combination of USE flags. I also make sure that the
28 thing works. I will also file bugs to myself, if need be, and ask users
29 for help with testing before putting something in the tree. Being
30 tested does not necessarily mean that a developer did the testing, just
31 that a developer verified that it was tested. If you aren't testing the
32 ebuilds you're committing, then you aren't doing QA and you're leaving
33 it up to others to discover if something you've added is broken. This
34 should happen *before* it goes in the tree, not after.
35
36 > Despite of our unorthodox development process, many people believes
37 > (including me) that our distro surclass traditional ones and is
38 > generally more stable (go figure!).
39
40 There have been a few snafus here and there, but generally I would agree
41 with you.
42
43 > Maybe I'm too exigent, but I only ask from people to do what I do : be
44 > genuinely interested in helping the devs who need it. Heck, I always try
45 > to help any gentooer, dev or not. We all have our little systems because
46 > our predecesors have worked on it, not because they sit down and
47 > debated whether to mark foo ebuild as ~arch or not.
48
49 Trying to force your ideas of QA onto another team isn't asking someone
50 to help you, it is asking someone to drop their beliefs in quality to
51 meet your timetables. That is counter-productive more than helpful.
52 You're using a lot of emotional arguments, and none technical.
53
54 Could the mips team have helped quicker? Sure. Maybe it would have
55 been beneficial for them to have simply said, "Hey. We don't have that
56 hardware so we can't test it." but trying to make them look like a bunch
57 of lazy developers isn't helping your case much... ;]
60 Chris Gianelloni
62 Games - Developer
63 Gentoo Linux