From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Kevin <gentoo-dev@××××××.biz>
Cc: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Major MCE problem with SMP on Gentoo kernels
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 14:43:58
1 On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 09:58, Kevin wrote:
2 > Oh.... Well, that seems like an important difference between yours and my
3 > arrangements. Are you running Gentoo on a box with more than one
4 > physical CPU? I had no problems running Gentoo on this box until after
5 > installing a second CPU. That's when the weirdness started.
6 >
7 > Is anyone here running Gentoo on a dual-physical CPU machine? What
8 > compiler flags are you using?
9
10 I am running Gentoo on several dual-CPU machines, and even one quad-CPU
11 machine with no troubles at all.
12
13 CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
14
15 > > > FEATURES="autoaddcvs ccache distcc sandbox"
16 >
17 > Huh. That's odd. When I installed distcc, I changed the FEATURES as
18 > indicated in the docs to list distcc, but I didn't add any of those
19 > others. Wonder where they came from...
20
21 They came from the defaults. Unless you set -autoaddcvs, etc in your
22 FEATURES. There's no need to try to remove autoaddcvs, since it just
23 won't work.
24
25 > I was thinking "number of physical CPUs + 1" here, but ok.
26
27 You would probably get a speed boost going with -j5 rather than -j3, but
28 I would bench it myself before trusting anything from an external
29 source.
32 Chris Gianelloni
33 Developer, Gentoo Linux
34 Games Team