From: Kevin <gentoo-dev@××××××.biz>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Major MCE problem with SMP on Gentoo kernels
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 14:04:56
1 On Wednesday 12 May 2004 07:48, Josh Glover wrote:
2 > Quoth Kevin (Wed 2004-05-12 07:24:07AM -0400):
3 > >
4 > > Have you turned off hyperthreading? Why is it that only two CPUs
5 > > show up? It looks like (flags include ht) the CPUs support
6 > > hyperthreading... or am I way off base in drawing that conclusion
7 > > here?
8 >
9 > No, the only part where you went off base was in assuming that I have
10 > more than one *physical* CPU in the box. I have one, and with
11 > hyperthreading turned on, it looks like two to the kernel.
12
13 Oh.... Well, that seems like an important difference between yours and my
14 arrangements. Are you running Gentoo on a box with more than one
15 physical CPU? I had no problems running Gentoo on this box until after
16 installing a second CPU. That's when the weirdness started.
17
18 Is anyone here running Gentoo on a dual-physical CPU machine? What
19 compiler flags are you using?
20
21 > > > I dunno, why don't you post your CFLAGS and MAKEOPTS from your
22 > > > make.conf here?
23 > >
24 > > Did already :)
25 >
26 > Lost them in the spew, sorry.
27 >
28 > > Here they are again:
29 > >
30 > > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
31 >
32 > This is unnecessary. You only need to use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS with the
33 > unstable keywords, ~x86 in your case.
34
35 Ok. Thanks.
38 > > CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
39 >
40 > Might want to back off to -O2, at least when you compile the kernel if
41 > nothing else. I believe the handbook recommends -O2, and optimising too
42 > highly can lead to some pretty bizarre problems.
43
44 K. What CFLAGS are you using? (on both your single physical CPU box you
45 described above and with any multiple physical CPU boxes)
48 > > CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium4
49 >
50 > I am not sure if you are setting this, or if this is just emerge, but
51 > you usually want to set CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}".
52
53 I'll hafta look at that (well, I can't anymore). I thought I did have
54 CXXFLAGS=${CFLAGS}".
57 > > FEATURES="autoaddcvs ccache distcc sandbox"
58
59 Huh. That's odd. When I installed distcc, I changed the FEATURES as
60 indicated in the docs to list distcc, but I didn't add any of those
61 others. Wonder where they came from...
64 > autoaddcvs is a feature only for developers, you should not turn it on.
65
66 K.
69 > > MAKEOPTS="-j3"
70 >
71 > You have four CPUs, so set this to -j5.
72
73 I was thinking "number of physical CPUs + 1" here, but ok.
76 > > Thanks again for the thoughtful reply, Josh.
77 >
78 > Hey, I live to serve. :)
79
80 :) Thanks.