From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Start enhancement
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 10:33:00
1 On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 08:25:48AM -0800, jano wrote:
2 > > I have a good dream last night. Some days ago I find the tool from
3 > > Microsoft to optimize the boot time of their new system (winxp). The
4 > > idea is to run some services to system-init parallel. Or in other
5 > > words: Why we must wait for samba to start xdm. Couldn't we use the
6 > > multitaskting experience of linux in our init-scripts. So we can start
7 > > Linux in near the half time I think. Good or bad idea?
8 >
9 > I concur. I wonder what sort of drawbacks there would be to doing this?
10
11 No real drawbacks and should be possible to add due to our dep-based
12 initscripts. Right now, we are focusing on more fundamental areas, though.
13 In the future, we'll add support for this. The disadvantage would be
14 that without a higher-level script output mechanism, the output from
15 the scripts would get interleaved line by line. Also, let's take a step
16 back and think about a system that boots 1 second faster. Big whoop.
17 Is this where we want to be focusing our precious development time?
18
19 Best Regards,
22 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
23 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org