From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] auto updating untouched config files
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 12:12:14
1 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > This is something that annoys the hell out of me too, so I had a look into it.
3 >
4 > By the time etc-update runs, there's no information it can use to determine
5 > whether or not the config-file has been edited by the system administrator.
6
7 Are you sure? This exact thought had crossed my mind beforehand, and I noticed
8 that, to use /etc/fstab as an example, a md5sum and creation date/time is
9 stored in:
10 /var/db/pkg/sys-apps/baselayout-1.8.11/CONTENTS
11
12 I don't have a great understanding of the portage db, so please point out if
13 this is not helpful :)
14
15 Daniel
18 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list