From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] auto updating untouched config files
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 10:33:01
1 On Sunday 02 May 2004 11:08, aeriksson@××××××××.fm wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Being slow on updating config files (/etc/* et al) after emerge -u
5 > world on al of my boxes i often find that I have a HUGE amount of
6 > ._cfg* files to deal with. The sad part is that many (most!) of them
7 > I've never changed myself and I have little reason not to go with the
8 > flow and accept a new default config file. So out of the 250 .cfg*
9 > files i have right now on my laptop, I guess 20 or so i really need to
10 > look into before doing any mods.
11 >
12 > Q: Why is there no option to run an MD5 on all the installed config
13 > files, and give the user the option to 'accept new defaults, if the
14 > old ones are untouched'? _That_ would be very handy...
17 > /A
18
19 This is something that annoys the hell out of me too, so I had a look into it.
20
21 By the time etc-update runs, there's no information it can use to determine
22 whether or not the config-file has been edited by the system administrator.
23
24 I fear that this is a feature that needs adding to Portage proper.
25
26 Best regards,
27 Stu
28 --
29 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
30 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
31 Missed the php|cruise? http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/cruise-2004/
32
33 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
34 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C