From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] auto updating untouched config files
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 13:40:05
1 On 05/02/04 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday 02 May 2004 11:08, aeriksson@××××××××.fm wrote:
4 > > Hi all,
5 > >
6 > > Being slow on updating config files (/etc/* et al) after emerge -u
7 > > world on al of my boxes i often find that I have a HUGE amount of
8 > > ._cfg* files to deal with. The sad part is that many (most!) of them
9 > > I've never changed myself and I have little reason not to go with
10 > > the flow and accept a new default config file. So out of the 250
11 > > .cfg* files i have right now on my laptop, I guess 20 or so i really
12 > > need to look into before doing any mods.
13 > >
14 > > Q: Why is there no option to run an MD5 on all the installed config
15 > > files, and give the user the option to 'accept new defaults, if the
16 > > old ones are untouched'? _That_ would be very handy...
19 > > /A
20 >
21 > This is something that annoys the hell out of me too, so I had a look
22 > into it.
23 >
24 > By the time etc-update runs, there's no information it can use to
25 > determine whether or not the config-file has been edited by the system
26 > administrator.
27 >
28 > I fear that this is a feature that needs adding to Portage proper.
29
30 I alreadhy have a plan to solve this [1], the problem is that it's
31 incompatible with the current etc-update and I'm currently busy with the
32 GLSA stuff.
33
34 Marius
35
36 [1] see <20040220120349.2c3f8b70@××××××××××××××××××.net>
41 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
42 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.