From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 21:24:43
1 On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 15:56 +0200, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 09:18:57AM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > I would have *no problem* with an opt-in system. Instead of using
4 > > "InOverlay" (which is a poor choice anyway... which overlay?) as some
5 > > sort of tag, instead, assign the package to the project which maintains
6 > > the herd the package belongs to. If the project does not want it, then
7 > > they can add "SUNRISE" to Keywords (in bugzilla). The Sunrise project
8 > > then has permission to do with the package as they see fit. At *this*
9 > > point, you could use "InOverlay", since it would be pretty obvious which
10 > > overlay it means.
11 > >
12 > > The real root of the problem is that packages that were once assigned to
13 > > teams/projects are now being assigned into a generic dumping ground and
14 > > being forgotten. You're trying to resolve this problem by moving them
15 > > to another dumping ground, which I completely disagree with. A better
16 > > solution would be to revert the broken behavior, and start assigning
17 > > packages back to the projects, as it used to be done. Let the project
18 > > decide if they want the package or not. If they don't, then they can
19 > > simply add a single keyword and Sunrise can have at it.
20 > >
21 > > This pleases everyone, as packages can be maintained in Sunrise, and the
22 > > projects still get to decide about packages that would likely affect
23 > > them. It changes the project to an opt-in project, rather than having
24 > > to track down things and opt-out.
25 >
26 > Except there is a flaw in your idea. As I see it, nothing prevents the
27 > developers of Project Sunrise from joining each and every team
28 > currently in existance and start marking enhancement requests
29 > "SUNRISE", regardless of the general opinion of the team/project.
30
31 Sure there is. That is what we would call an abuse of power and should
32 be met with the appropriate $smackdown on the developer who went and did
33 such actions.
36 Chris Gianelloni
37 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
38 x86 Architecture Team