From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:05:38
1 On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 09:18:57AM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > I would have *no problem* with an opt-in system. Instead of using
3 > "InOverlay" (which is a poor choice anyway... which overlay?) as some
4 > sort of tag, instead, assign the package to the project which maintains
5 > the herd the package belongs to. If the project does not want it, then
6 > they can add "SUNRISE" to Keywords (in bugzilla). The Sunrise project
7 > then has permission to do with the package as they see fit. At *this*
8 > point, you could use "InOverlay", since it would be pretty obvious which
9 > overlay it means.
10 >
11 > The real root of the problem is that packages that were once assigned to
12 > teams/projects are now being assigned into a generic dumping ground and
13 > being forgotten. You're trying to resolve this problem by moving them
14 > to another dumping ground, which I completely disagree with. A better
15 > solution would be to revert the broken behavior, and start assigning
16 > packages back to the projects, as it used to be done. Let the project
17 > decide if they want the package or not. If they don't, then they can
18 > simply add a single keyword and Sunrise can have at it.
19 >
20 > This pleases everyone, as packages can be maintained in Sunrise, and the
21 > projects still get to decide about packages that would likely affect
22 > them. It changes the project to an opt-in project, rather than having
23 > to track down things and opt-out.
24
25 Except there is a flaw in your idea. As I see it, nothing prevents the
26 developers of Project Sunrise from joining each and every team
27 currently in existance and start marking enhancement requests
28 "SUNRISE", regardless of the general opinion of the team/project.
29
30 I am not in favor of an opt-in/opt-out system.
31
32 Regards,
33 Brix
34 --
35 Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
36 Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd