From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:30:10
1 On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 08:38 +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:19:51 +0100
3 > Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o> wrote:
4 >
6 > > Hash: SHA1
7 > >
8 > > Michael Cummings wrote:
9 > > | Chris Gianelloni wrote:
10 > > |>> Using your example, if it will *never* make it into the tree,
11 > > then what |>> is it doing on *.gentoo.org infrastructure?
12 > > |
13 > > | OK, I'll speak up. I plan on using overlay.gentoo.org for the perl
14 > > team | overlay repository.
15 > >
16 > > [snip]
17 > >
18 > > You're not alone.
19 > >
20 > > The webapps overlay contains ebuilds that may never make it into the
21 > > tree. We have a lot of packages that we maintain, but which don't
22 > > pass our upstream requirements [1] at this time. We're doing our
23 > > best to work with $upstream on resolving such issues, but we're never
24 > > going to achieve a 100% success rate.
25 >
26 > No-one is objecting to these project-local overlays. The objection is
27 > to a system-wide overlay.
28
29 Correct.
30
31 I would have *no problem* with an opt-in system. Instead of using
32 "InOverlay" (which is a poor choice anyway... which overlay?) as some
33 sort of tag, instead, assign the package to the project which maintains
34 the herd the package belongs to. If the project does not want it, then
35 they can add "SUNRISE" to Keywords (in bugzilla). The Sunrise project
36 then has permission to do with the package as they see fit. At *this*
37 point, you could use "InOverlay", since it would be pretty obvious which
38 overlay it means.
39
40 The real root of the problem is that packages that were once assigned to
41 teams/projects are now being assigned into a generic dumping ground and
42 being forgotten. You're trying to resolve this problem by moving them
43 to another dumping ground, which I completely disagree with. A better
44 solution would be to revert the broken behavior, and start assigning
45 packages back to the projects, as it used to be done. Let the project
46 decide if they want the package or not. If they don't, then they can
47 simply add a single keyword and Sunrise can have at it.
48
49 This pleases everyone, as packages can be maintained in Sunrise, and the
50 projects still get to decide about packages that would likely affect
51 them. It changes the project to an opt-in project, rather than having
52 to track down things and opt-out.
55 Chris Gianelloni
56 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
57 x86 Architecture Team