From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 06:32:20
1 On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:19:51 +0100
2 Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > Michael Cummings wrote:
8 > | Chris Gianelloni wrote:
9 > |>> Using your example, if it will *never* make it into the tree,
10 > then what |>> is it doing on *.gentoo.org infrastructure?
11 > |
12 > | OK, I'll speak up. I plan on using overlay.gentoo.org for the perl
13 > team | overlay repository.
14 >
15 > [snip]
16 >
17 > You're not alone.
18 >
19 > The webapps overlay contains ebuilds that may never make it into the
20 > tree. We have a lot of packages that we maintain, but which don't
21 > pass our upstream requirements [1] at this time. We're doing our
22 > best to work with $upstream on resolving such issues, but we're never
23 > going to achieve a 100% success rate.
24
25 No-one is objecting to these project-local overlays. The objection is
26 to a system-wide overlay.
27
28 To comment on the subject - as a system-wide overlay sunrise does look
29 a lot like a fork of the man tree. This could be alleviated by banning
30 several things from the overlay; eclasses are already listed, but
31 I think it would be a good idea to include key system elements (e.g.
32 kernel, toolchain, baselayout - perhaps the sys-* categories) in the ban
33 for sunrise. Anything hacking around with such critical components
34 should be in their own specific overlay. This is key to the
35 objections; that sunrise is system-wide, not local to a particular area.
38 Kevin F. Quinn