From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:27:20
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Michael Cummings wrote:
5 | Chris Gianelloni wrote:
6 |>> Using your example, if it will *never* make it into the tree, then what
7 |>> is it doing on *.gentoo.org infrastructure?
8 |
9 | OK, I'll speak up. I plan on using overlay.gentoo.org for the perl team
10 | overlay repository.
11
12 [snip]
13
14 You're not alone.
15
16 The webapps overlay contains ebuilds that may never make it into the tree.
17 We have a lot of packages that we maintain, but which don't pass our
18 upstream requirements [1] at this time. We're doing our best to work with
19 $upstream on resolving such issues, but we're never going to achieve a 100%
20 success rate.
21
22 Chris: Gentoo infrastructure's there as a service to the Gentoo project as a
23 whole, not just the Portage tree. If folks are running an authorised Gentoo
24 project (and, right now, the rules say that anyone can setup a project
25 without requiring anyone else's permission; i.e. folks can authorise their
26 own projects), and infra's able to provide what they're asking for, then I
27 can't see how it matters whether or not a project is using infrastructure to
28 host packages that'll never make it into the tree.
29
30 If you want to go down that route, then I think you should be working within
31 the project's processes (specifically, via GLEPs or Council resolutions) to
32 change our governing rules.
33
34 Until the rules change, I think this _specific_ argument against Project
35 Sunrise is _completely_ bogus. You're entitled to your opinion, but folks
36 are equally entitled to totally ignore it.
37
38 I _do_ think it's reasonable to want to know that whatever's being done with
39 Gentoo infrastructure is being done responsibly. That's the complaint Brix
40 brought to me, and it's what we're now waiting on the Council to resolve -
41 unless it can be resolved between yourselves and Project Sunrise before then.
42
43 [1] http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/webapps/wiki/UpstreamRequirements
44
45 Best regards,
46 Stu
47 - --
48 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
49 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
50 ~ http://blog.stuartherbert.com/
51
52 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
53 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
54 - --
64 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list