From: Adam Porich <adam@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Menu - Bash vs. Python Rule files
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:32:50
1 On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:56:10 +0200
2 Spider <spider@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > begin quote
5 > On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:44:24 +0200
6 > Heinrich Wendel <lanius@g.o> wrote:
7 >
8 > > Hi,
9 > >
10 > > Svyatogor and me are working on a menu system (like debian ones) for
11 > > gentoo. Now we have come to the part where we have to decide whether
12 > > to use python or bash scripts for the rule files of the window
13 > > managers.
14 > >
15 > > The Python scripts are 2 times as fast as a bash script and in my
16 > > opinion would make live easier, are easier to handle. But svyatogor
17 > > votes for bash scripts, as more people know how to write bash scripts
18 > > than python scripts, here an example of both:
21 > I wish to put my vote in for python.
24 > //Spider
27 I like the idea of a scripting language higher than 'sh' being included in gentoo by default. And, considering we already require python for portage, it makes sense. A language that is richer than 'sh' can make our low level scripts read a lot nicer. Even if someone is not familiar with python, a complicated script can be much easier to read in python than in 'sh'.
28
29 Our default scripts (e.g. menus, init scripts, modules and others) should be as simple as possible. If that is possible in bash ('sh?') then that makes sense but if the readability of these can be increased by a higher level language (particularly python as we already require it ... I think? ) then by all means go for it (in my opinion).
30
31 Cheers,
32 Adam Porich
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list