From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Roles v2
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:33:09
1 On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:19:58 -0500 Michael Cummings
2 <mcummings@g.o> wrote:
3
4 | On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 20:49 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 | > Now, you've heard that dropping keywords is bad. But you have a
6 | > clever idea, and make the dep alsa? ( !sparc? ( alsa libraries ) ).
7 | > This gets past repoman just fine.
8 |
9 | <STOP> As any arch can tell you, that's never stopped me - *IF* you do
10 | it correctly, ie comment out the existing keywords, add the keywords
11 | that the package can support, and file a bug against the arch's that
12 | you had to drop explaining the need for re-keywording because of a
13 | new dep that they don't yet support. AFAIK that's the correct way to
14 | do it
15
16 Yup. I probably should've mentioned that as part of the explanation...
17 The correct way to proceed, in the general case, is to contact the arch
18 team and ask them to use.mask or keyword deps as appropriate. Keywords
19 can be dropped if and only if a bug is filed.
22 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Wearer of the shiny hat)
23 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
24 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm