From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cdrtools license issues
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:10:29
1 On Friday 01 September 2006 20:26, Greg KH wrote:
2 > So we are just fine, one of the advantages of being a source-based
3 > distro :)
4
5 Um, rereading term three of the GPL, you're right of course. The question
6 remains how do we flag this. LICENSE="GPL-2 CDDL-Schily" in case of
7 cdrtools!? Yes, the latter is the license file we have in the tree and
8 looking at it, the only difference to the CDDL is that it includes an
9 additional notice, which sets the court to Berlin, Germany.
10
11 Also we need to have a file that lists clashing licenses, so Portage (at least
12 in a future, caring about licenses) will trow warnings, when binary packages
13 get build. I mean we claim to be a meta-distribution, but I don't think
14 projects basing their binary distributions on Gentoo can feel safe a bit with
15 regards to lisensing. We do absolutely nothing to care for that right now.
18 While thinking about it, other issues came to my mind:
19
20 - Ciaran pushed for not installing license/copyright information
21 in /usr/share/doc/${PF}. But a lot of our licenses in /usr/portage/licenses
22 list specific copyright holders - of a single package, others have a
23 different copyright line of course. Wouldn't this be copyright infringement,
24 to distrbute a images based on Gentoo, but do not include the correct
25 licenses!?
26
27 - There is at least one case we can't map right now. Think about the
28 following: An ebuild licensed GPL, depends on another one, licensed CPL. Both
29 licenses are incompatible. It's impossible to distinct (within our
30 LICENSE="foo" stuff), if the CPL licensed tool is only used to generate
31 something at compile time and also used but not linked to at runtime, to the
32 case the GPL licensed application links to a library, the CPL licensed ebuils
33 provides. Again, binary distributions building on Gentoo are lost.
34 The package I have in mind is media-gfx/graphviz in this case.
37 Carsten