From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: media-optical@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cdrtools license issues
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 18:34:08
1 On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 02:44:59PM +0200, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > As discussed here?, the author of cdrtools, J?rg Schilling, violates the GPL
3 > in his application, by building GPL software with CDDL licensed makefiles as
4 > well as linking mkisofs to libscg, which he relicensed to CDDL lately. Debian
5 > seems to fork? cdrtools therefore.
6 >
7 > Imho we have to remove the partly and incompatible relicensed cdrtools-2.01.01
8 > alpha ebuilds from the tree.
9
10 No, we should just stop distributing the prebuild image in our release
11 and live cds. We do not have to do anything with the package in
12 portage, as it is the user who builds cdrtools that does the violating
13 (and only if they then redistribute the built binary).
14
15 Same rule as the binary kernel modules situation.
16
17 So we are just fine, one of the advantages of being a source-based
18 distro :)
19
20 thanks,
21