From: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: media-optical@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cdrtools license issues
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 19:21:35
1 On Friday 01 September 2006 11:26, Greg KH wrote:
2 > No, we should just stop distributing the prebuild image in our release
3 > and live cds. We do not have to do anything with the package in
4 > portage, as it is the user who builds cdrtools that does the violating
5 > (and only if they then redistribute the built binary).
6
7 Well, I for one would rather not give a user the option to screw themselves to
8 this magnitude with a simple "emerge cdrtools". There's people that aren't
9 reading this list, and aren't going to know what's going on. It's unfair to
10 them.
11
12 > Same rule as the binary kernel modules situation.
13
14 The only way I see this similar is if the kernel actually had subdirectories
15 containing said binary modules.
16
17 We have an alternative stated [1]. I think we need to focus more on the
18 problems of using the alternative, then dealing with what some consider to be
19 a rather sketchy legal dispute.
20
21 [1] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debburn
22 --