From: Rafael Goncalves Martins <rafaelmartins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:53:09
1 On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Rafael Goncalves Martins
3 > <rafaelmartins@g.o> wrote:
4 >> If these organizations aren't governed by Gentoo they should have some
5 >> disclaimers, saying that the projects hosted there aren't sponsored by
6 >> Gentoo, but this udev-ng/eudev/whatever thing does the opposite and
7 >> actually advertise the Gentoo sponsorship with the sentence "This is a
8 >> Gentoo sponsored project and testing is currently being done with
9 >> openrc." in their README
10 >>
11 >> I don't think that someone can claim this sponsorship without a council vote.
14 > Read GLEP 39. Any dev can create a project. Granted, most Gentoo
15 > projects don't follow the GLEP to the letter, and as long as nothing
16 > goes wrong it isn't a big problem. The council can step in if
17 > necessary, but having some source out on github won't kill anybody.
18
19 Yeah, but I think that there's a big difference about any developer
20 being allowed to create a project under the gentoo umbrella and create
21 a project and claim it as Gentoo sponsored without any review of the
22 council. I agree that it can exists in the Github account, or even in
23 our own infrastructure, but say that Gentoo supports it without a
24 previous analysis of the council is wrong IMHO.
25
26 > Keep in mind though that using github exclusively isn't exactly
27 > aligned with the social contract - I would encourage having the
28 > sources on Gentoo servers. That said, I don't think it matters where
29 > people do the work vs what is the mirror - just nobody should be
30 > forced to use github (proprietary) to contribute.
31 >
32 > As long as everybody behaves Gentoo devs can work on whatever they
33 > want to. None of us are paid to do this.
34 >
35 > If a bunch of strangers made the same claim I'd be more concerned.
36 >
37 > If anybody feels a Gentoo project is out of line feel free to submit a
38 > bug to the Council or Trustees as appropriate. However, please save
39 > that for things like "they're breaking the law" or "they refuse to
40 > have elections for a lead" or whatever, and not "I don't like what
41 > they're working on." The recourse for the latter is to adjust your
42 > profile/USE-flags/killfile as appropriate.
43 >
44 > Rich
48 Rafael Goncalves Martins
49 Gentoo Linux developer