From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] a preempt patch lament
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 11:59:46
1 On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 21:14, Bruce A. Locke wrote:
2 >
3 > Yeah, the preempt patch seems to have some rather nasty rejects against
4 > -aa's rather large (?!?!) patch set. I myself am either sticking
5 > 2.4.17-r4 or building my own because I depend on preempt and refuse to
6 > use any kernel for my workstation without it. And the fact -aa's patch
7 > is huge and tested by a smaller audience then even -ac's patch set
8 > doesn't sit well with me either.
9 >
10 > Anyone know if some kind soul is maintaining a preempt + tested XFS
11 > patch? With the dozens of different kernel trees these days someone has
12 > to be doing something like that :)
13
14 Michael Cohen (mjc) and Shawn (shawnX) in #kernelnewbies are working on
15 this as we speak. -aa doesn't really give us any viable options for
16 good desktop performance, so we're moving to an -ac kernel augmented
17 with XFS and -preempt (as an option for desktops). So far, we have
18 everything but -preempt working. It applies cleanly but does not
19 actually do anything. Michael Cohen is working on a fix, and when he
20 has one I'll roll out a new kernel. -ac also includes -rmap which is a
21 great performance enhancer for the desktop.
22
23 Best Regards,
26 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
27 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org