From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Things one could be upset about
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 21:14:52
1 On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 21:44:25 +0100 Róbert Čerňanský wrote:
2 > On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 18:33:45 +0300
3 > Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 14:45:51 +0000 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
6 > > > The problem isn't the constants, though. The problem is the
7 > > > resolution algorithm. There's not much point tweaking performance
8 > > > until the resolver is fixed to produce a correct answer...
9 > >
10 > > Oh, this was discussed so many times already... There is NO single
11 > > correct solution to such problems. And some mathematically correct
12 > > solutions are impractical (e.g. half of the tree rebuild), so other
13 > > ones which are good enough are preferred. As long as imperfect
14 > > solution works fine, I'm ok with it.
15 >
16 > From my point of view it would do much help if portage resolves USE
17 > dependencies automatically instead of telling the user to change USE
18 > flags manually (I am talking about bug #258371).
19
20 As the user the last thing I want is to have some USE flags changed
21 without my permission ending up stuff I need to be omitted or stuff
22 I don't want to see on my system to be installed. Of course if
23 someone prefers USE flags to be randomly changed I don't mind if
24 such option will exist (as proposed in bug #258371) as long as it
25 is disabled by default.
26
27 Best regards,
28 Andrew Savchenko