From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: trimming the @system set [was: adding sys-apps/iproute2 to the @system set]
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 20:55:33
1 On 09/07/2014 16:45, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sun, 07 Sep 2014, Joshua Kinard wrote:
3 >
4 >> And thus, I was referring only to @system, not a stage3. I think an
5 >> editor should be in @system, but as much as I like nano, I know the
6 >> ncurses dependency won't sit well with everyone. If @system is
7 >> supposed to be a minimal-working system, a minimal vim deserves
8 >> consideration. But if ncurses is already being dragged in by
9 >> something else, then stick with nano.
10 >
11 > There's neither nano nor any other specific editor in the system set,
12 > to start with. There is virtual/editor which I think is the best
13 > choice, unless we would decide that no editor is needed at all.
14 >
15 > Ulrich
16
17 The stage2/stage3 catalyst runs I did recently always dragged in nano &
18 ncurses. I did very little customization to the build profiles or the
19 specs, so something was favouring nano over other editors.
22 Joshua Kinard
23 Gentoo/MIPS
24 kumba@g.o
25 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
26
27 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
28 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
29
30 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic