From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, wg-stable@g.o, arch-leads@g.o, Gentoo alpha AT <alpha@g.o>, Gentoo AMD64 AT <amd64@g.o>, amd64-fbsd@g.o, Gentoo arm AT <arm@g.o>, arm64@g.o, Gentoo hppa AT <hppa@g.o>, Gentoo ia64 AT <ia64@g.o>, Gentoo m68k AT <m68k@g.o>, Gentoo mips AT <mips@g.o>, Gentoo ppc AT <ppc@g.o>, Gentoo ppc64 AT <ppc64@g.o>, Gentoo s390 AT <s390@g.o>, Gentoo sh AT <sh@g.o>, Gentoo sparc AT <sparc@g.o>, Gentoo x86 AT <x86@g.o>, x86-fbsd@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 23:41:38
1 On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 7:12 PM, Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Here's a data point you may, or may not, find relevant. in 16 years of using
4 > Gentoo exclusively, the only one time I used stable on one machine for about
5 > 2 years it ended up being much more of a pain than unstable. Actually, I
6 > can't say I have anything to complain about unstable.
7
8 When in the last 16 years was this 2 year period of running stable?
9 The general state of QA has varied quite a bit over that time.
10
11 Judging by the open bugs anybody running unstable systemd has been
12 going through a bit of pain in the last week as various scripts/etc
13 are updated to handle the change in install location. Now, it could
14 have been masked initially, but that is really no different except it
15 is a different set of guinea pigs. If unstable never breaks chances
16 are we aren't actually using it for its intended purpose, not that we
17 should be deliberately breaking things.
20 Rich