From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple Repo Support
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 20:33:19
1 On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:09:31 +0100 Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | I wonder if portage deals fine with subtle dependency
4 | incompatibilities, when one package has foo[!bar] and another one
5 | foo[bar] as dependency and spits out a reasonable error message to
6 | apply mutual blockers.
7
8 If they're purely in DEPEND, that one isn't even an incompatability.
9
10 | > kde-libs/kde:3
11 | > ^^^ need any kde, with slotting enabled.
12 | >
13 | > kde-libs/kde:3,4
14 | > ^^^ need any kde, slotting 3 or 4.
15 | >
16 | > Combination? Not set in stone afaik, the implementation I have
17 | > sitting in saviour doesn't care about the ordering however.
18 |
19 | This is the one I'm entirely not sure what it is good for. To me it
20 | looks more like a workaround for missing dependency ranges, but it
21 | won't solve any issue for KDE related packages.
22
23 Well, any library that changes ABI should use a different SLOT for each
24 revision. So SLOT depends should be able to replace the need for = and
25 ~ and < and <= dependencies entirely. Which is a good thing, since
26 those atoms make dependency resolution a general-case unsolvable
27 problem.
28
29 | As a general remark I'd like to know if and how this enhanced
30 | dependency syntax is ordered. :[], []: or is both allowed!? What if
31 | we find out, that we need to consider another factor, later? :[]<>?
32 | Wouldn't it be better to have a extensible scheme, like e.g.
33 | $category/$ebuild[use:foo,!bar;slot:x,y] ?
34
35 The existing syntax is just as extensible. Up the EABI revision, and
36 start adding new syntax as needed.
39 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
40 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
41 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm