From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple Repo Support
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 20:13:17
1 On Saturday 24 December 2005 02:04, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > dev-lang/python[tcltk]
3 > ^^^ need that atom resolved with use flag tcltk enabled
4
5 I think that's exactly what someone told me months ago. :)
6
7 > >=sys-apps/portage-2.0[sandbox,!build]
8 >
9 > ^^^ need >=portage-2.0 merged with sandbox on, build off.
10
11 I wonder if portage deals fine with subtle dependency incompatibilities, when
12 one package has foo[!bar] and another one foo[bar] as dependency and spits
13 out a reasonable error message to apply mutual blockers.
14
15 > kde-libs/kde:3
16 > ^^^ need any kde, with slotting enabled.
17 >
18 > kde-libs/kde:3,4
19 > ^^^ need any kde, slotting 3 or 4.
20 >
21 > Combination? Not set in stone afaik, the implementation I have
22 > sitting in saviour doesn't care about the ordering however.
23
24 This is the one I'm entirely not sure what it is good for. To me it looks more
25 like a workaround for missing dependency ranges, but it won't solve any issue
26 for KDE related packages.
27
28 - The dependencies we have are always >=kde-libs/kde-x.y and when KDE 4 is
29 due, we can change to =kde-libs/kde-3.5* because everything else won't be
30 supported anymore. So unless I miss something, kde-libs/kde:X is superfluous.
31
32 - What we need is that ebuilds build against KDE slot X force a rebuild of
33 those dependencies, which were against KDE slot Y as well as every other
34 installed ebuild depending on them. Right now my fugly slot_rebuild()
35 workaround lets the user do the job by hand.
38 As a general remark I'd like to know if and how this enhanced dependency
39 syntax is ordered. :[], []: or is both allowed!? What if we find out, that we
40 need to consider another factor, later? :[]<>? Wouldn't it be better to have
41 a extensible scheme, like e.g. $category/$ebuild[use:foo,!bar;slot:x,y] ?
44 Carsten