From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deleting old news items
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 14:19:00
1 On 01/03/2018 03:13 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 01/03/2018 02:45 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 12:23:33 +0100
4 >> Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
5 >>> Do we necessarily need to do even that? A package manager could have a
6 >>> feature to mask based on other heuristics without changing the format,
7 >>> e.g all messages from before X, presumably with a switch to show
8 >> Package manglers having to use heuristics when explicit information
9 >> could easily be provided by developers but isn't is the source of at
10 >> least 27.4% of Gentoo's problems.
11 >
12 > I'd say it is easier to have flexibility for user to decide than a
13 > developer trying to estimate the value of the information for setting an
14 > expiration date, as that is context dependent.
17 That said, I'd prefer either option over deleting news items, deleting
18 info shouldn't be necessary to begin with, it'd be more interesting to
19 have an "active" boolean or something, but still keep the info (but I'd
20 still say a PM filter based on date is better)
23 Kristian Fiskerstrand
24 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
25 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3