From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Request of news item review: 2013-03-29-udev-predictable-network-interface-names.en.txt
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:31:06
1 On 29/03/13 13:01, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > On 29/03/2013 11:50, Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> Not false, but configurable, and linked from the news item -- nobody
4 >> stopping you from eg. using MAC addresses instead of PCI slots for
5 >> defining the names, just like one would have renamed them using MAC with
6 >> 70-persistent-net.rules
7 >
8 > Which I usually do. But
9 >
10 > "With the new predictable ... scheme ... the names will be static and
11 > not randomly rename ..."
12 >
13 > is false.
14 >
15 > The name will be predictable before rebooting (maybe?) but it could very
16 > easily change randomly on udev update.
17 >> Not FUD, but a fact, depends on the driver code (in kernel) if it'll
18 >> change or not
19 >> That's random enough as we can't force people to track kernel source
20 >> tree and drivers code
21 >
22 > Hm hm. It's still FUD.
23 >
24 > If my desktop only has one Ethernet interface, no matter how many kernel
25 > changes happen, it'll always be eth0.
26 >
27 > Whereas, with the new predictable scheme, if I move that card around, it
28 > will change name.
29 >
30 > Tell me which one is random, again?
31
32 I see. You politely wanted to point out these lacks in the news item.
33 Sorry, it was hard to see it through from all the sarcasm.
34
35 (New item attached, and also covers ulm's concerns from the another reply.)
38 > ---
39 > I'm not saying you shouldn't enable it (feel free to screw up user as
40 > much as you want, just don't complain if they don't like you),
41
42 I don't remember complaining about users not liking me, nor caring about
43 it. If they want to shoot the messenger, that's fine by me.
44
45 > but since
46 > both kernel naming and predictable naming have their chance to change,
47 > don't spread FUD.
48
49 One you can control, the another you can't. So still not FUD.

2013-03-29-udev-predictable-network-interface-names.en.txt text/plain