From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Request of news item review: 2013-03-29-udev-predictable-network-interface-names.en.txt
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:38:57
1 On 29/03/2013 12:29, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > One you can control, the another you can't. So still not FUD.
3
4 You do not really control it any more than the kernel. The fact that me
5 and you can edit an udev ruleset to "control" it, does not mean that
6 most users see it as a black box.
7
8 The news item reads better. I would still either avoid showing the
9 NET_PATH example or describe that that is not the final result because
10 on a laptop, NET_PATH almost certainly will *not* match the final
11 interface name:
12
13 flame@saladin~ % udevadm test-builtin net_id /sys/class/net/eno1 2>/dev/null
14 ID_NET_NAME_MAC=enx0026b9d7bf1f
15 ID_OUI_FROM_DATABASE=Dell Inc
16 ID_NET_NAME_ONBOARD=eno1
17 ID_NET_LABEL_ONBOARD=en Onboard LAN
18 ID_NET_NAME_PATH=enp0s25
19
20 And I would not expect users to all go read the wiki and try to figure
21 out why you said it would be named enp0s25 when it gets the name eno1.
24 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
25 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/