From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Request of news item review: 2013-03-29-udev-predictable-network-interface-names.en.txt
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 12:21:59
1 On 29/03/13 13:38, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > On 29/03/2013 12:29, Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> One you can control, the another you can't. So still not FUD.
4 >
5 > You do not really control it any more than the kernel. The fact that me
6 > and you can edit an udev ruleset to "control" it, does not mean that
7 > most users see it as a black box.
8
9 I don't agree with that, /etc/udev/rules.d and overriding udev rules is
10 very basic administration, very basic...
11 I'll put a bit more trust on our users.
12
13 > The news item reads better. I would still either avoid showing the
14 > NET_PATH example or describe that that is not the final result because
15 > on a laptop, NET_PATH almost certainly will *not* match the final
16 > interface name:
17 >
18 > flame@saladin~ % udevadm test-builtin net_id /sys/class/net/eno1 2>/dev/null
19 > ID_NET_NAME_MAC=enx0026b9d7bf1f
20 > ID_OUI_FROM_DATABASE=Dell Inc
21 > ID_NET_NAME_ONBOARD=eno1
22 > ID_NET_LABEL_ONBOARD=en Onboard LAN
23 > ID_NET_NAME_PATH=enp0s25
24 >
25 > And I would not expect users to all go read the wiki and try to figure
26 > out why you said it would be named enp0s25 when it gets the name eno1.
29 Nod.
30 Attached new version again, more generic than before.
31 Hope it'll do what it's meant to do... push users into right direction...
32 It's not meant to be a complete documentation or rewrite of the upstream
33 wiki page :-p
34 Just a push...

2013-03-29-udev-predictable-network-interface-names.en.txt text/plain