From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Request of news item review: 2013-03-29-udev-predictable-network-interface-names.en.txt
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 01:06:08
1 130329 Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > Attached new version again, more generic than before.
3
4 I find this difficult to decipher. Who is it aimed at ?
5
6 I've just updated to Udev 200 . Following the news item,
7 I renamed /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules :
8 my script to start my I/net connection with DHCP failed.
9 I restored the file to its old name & all works as usual :
10 it has 'NAME="eth0"'.
11
12 I am always aware of & grateful for the unpaid efforts of Gentoo devs,
13 but I'm not pleased with confused or confusing news items.
14
15 The first thing any news item should make clear is its audience :
16 "If you are using ABC or belong to the group describable as DEF,
17 then you need to do GHI". Clearly, I don't fall into the group
18 at whom the Udev news item is aimed, perhaps those with > 1 net card.
19 What proportion of Gentoo users fall into that group ?
20
21 HTH improve news items.
25 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
26 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
27 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca