From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] separate /usr without initramfs
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 17:02:08
1 On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 16:17:04 +0000
2 Michael Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz> wrote:
3
4 > On 27/10/19 16:12, Matt Turner wrote:
5 > > On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 3:06 AM James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 05:38:48 -0400
7 > >> Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
8 > >>
9 > >>> Why do I not like an initramfs, though? Well, for one, it complicates the
10 > >>> kernel compiles (and it makes them bigger, something which is an issue on
11 > >>> the old SGI systems at times). Two, it's another layer that I have to
12 > >>> maintain. Three, it violates, in my mind, the simplicity of keeping the
13 > >>> kernel and userland separated (e.g., kernel does kernel-y things, userland
14 > >>> does userland-y things).
15 > >> You make it sound like the initramfs has to be built into the kernel
16 > >> image. It can be but it usually isn't. I suspect you know that though?
17 > >> Admittedly that does depend on support from your bootloader. While GRUB
18 > >> and U-Boot have supported this for years, I forget what oddball
19 > >> bootloaders your hardware may be using.
20 > > Though he's likely not using it, GRUB2 supports all the platforms he
21 > > mentioned (x86, amd64, sparc64, [sgi] mips).
22 > >
23 > FWIW, I do believe I saw LILO mentioned ..
24
25 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Early_Userspace_Mounting#Configuring_LILO
26
27 Phew. ;-)
28
29 Actually I was getting confused between initramfs support and device
30 tree support. I think every bootloader has supported initramfs since
31 forever.
34 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
35 Gentoo Linux Developer