From: Michael Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] separate /usr without initramfs
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 16:17:15
1 On 27/10/19 16:12, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 3:06 AM James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 05:38:48 -0400
4 >> Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Why do I not like an initramfs, though? Well, for one, it complicates the
7 >>> kernel compiles (and it makes them bigger, something which is an issue on
8 >>> the old SGI systems at times). Two, it's another layer that I have to
9 >>> maintain. Three, it violates, in my mind, the simplicity of keeping the
10 >>> kernel and userland separated (e.g., kernel does kernel-y things, userland
11 >>> does userland-y things).
12 >> You make it sound like the initramfs has to be built into the kernel
13 >> image. It can be but it usually isn't. I suspect you know that though?
14 >> Admittedly that does depend on support from your bootloader. While GRUB
15 >> and U-Boot have supported this for years, I forget what oddball
16 >> bootloaders your hardware may be using.
17 > Though he's likely not using it, GRUB2 supports all the platforms he
18 > mentioned (x86, amd64, sparc64, [sgi] mips).
19 >
20 FWIW, I do believe I saw LILO mentioned ..