From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Review: news item and script for CPU_FLAGS_X86
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:11:12
1 On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:40:17 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > # Copyright 1999-2014 Gentoo Foundation.
5 > # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
6 > # $Header$
7 >
8 > # Whenever the flag name does not correspond to /proc/cpuinfo flags,
9 > # please put the cpuinfo flag in square brackets. If more than one
10 > flag # is specified, any of them will enable the respective USE flag.
13 nice
16 now, letmegrepitforyou:
19 > avx - Adds support for Advanced Vector Extensions instructions
20
21 media-video/ffmpeg:avx - Adds support for Advanced Vector Extensions
22 instructions (Intel Sandy Bridge, AMD Bulldozer and later chips)
23
24 > avx2 - Adds support for Advanced Vector Extensions 2 instructions
25
26 media-video/ffmpeg:avx2 - Adds support for Advanced Vector Extensions 2
27 instructions (Intel Haswell and later chips)
28
29 > fma3 - Use the Fused Multiply Add 3 instruction set ([fma] in cpuinfo)
30
31 media-video/ffmpeg:fma3 - Enables FMA3 optimizations: AMD processors
32 starting with Piledriver architecture and Intel Haswell based
33 processors or later.
34
35 > fma4 - Use the Fused Multiply Add 4 instruction set
36
37 media-video/ffmpeg:fma4 - Enables FMA4 optimizations: AMD processors
38 starting with Bulldozer architecture.
39
40 > sse4_1 - Enable SSE4.1 instruction support
41
42 media-libs/libvpx:sse4_1 - Enable optimization for SSE4_1 capable
43 processors (Intel Core 2 Penryn and later chips)
46 > sse4_2 - Enable SSE4.2 instruction support
47
48 media-video/ffmpeg:sse4_2 - Enables SSE4.2 optimizations: Nehalem-based
49 Intel Core i7 or later.
50
51 > ssse3 - Use the SSSE3 instruction set (NOT sse3/pni)
52
53 media-libs/libvpx:ssse3 - faster floating point optimization for SSSE3
54 capable chips (Intel Core 2 and later chips)
61 I like the "available in cpu $foo and later" because this influences me
62 in what to buy: If I know that I will have noticeable gain with hand
63 written asm in a package that is critical to me, I know it will perform
64 better for my needs despite benchmarks might be saying otherwise.
67 Alexis.