From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Upcoming Infra maintenance/downtimes: anon{cvs,svn,git}, archives, bouncer, overlays
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:32:32
1 On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 10:46:28AM +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 18-01-2008 01:21:21 -0800, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > > > If a transition period would be available, I could make Portage
4 > > > alarm users to fix the SYNC variable to reflect the new URL. I also
5 > > > need to add/fix/change Portage's support for this new URL scheme.
6 > > You're syncing directly from overlays SVN-HTTP? I hope not with the sync
7 > > frequency of some of the other users out there.
8 > I have no other option, do I? I requested rsync in some bug a while ago
9 > with one of the reasons to reduce overlays' load.
10 Not really doable at the moment (but after some of the other pending
11 infra stuff, it is up for handling).
12
13 > > As you support SVN already, you should just need to change the URL
14 > > (since you are just handing it to SVN), and run svn switch. But ok, I'll
15 > > give you 30 days for /repositories/alt/ once the new overlays box has
16 > > SVN. (Combined with a suitably large warning in the SVN browse view).
17 > The problem is that emerge --sync obfuscates that SVN is being used
18 > underneath. Some (most?) users will not have a clue they are using SVN.
19 How about rolling out a prefix-portage update that just kicks them into
20 updating it?
23 Robin Hugh Johnson
24 Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
25 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
26 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85