From: Dan Meltzer <hydrogen@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [news-item] Paludis 0.24
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 00:10:22
1 On Friday 04 May 2007 8:01:58 pm Dan Meltzer wrote:
2 > On Friday 04 May 2007 7:52:46 pm Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 4 May 2007 19:48:19 -0400
4 > >
5 > > Dan Meltzer <hydrogen@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > > That seems like a really bad road to go down.
7 > > >
8 > > > Would it not be better to extend elog to alert people at the end of
9 > > > an install as well?
10 > >
11 > > Doesn't help. It's only there once, and it's easy to ignore. Users
12 > > don't have to explicitly mark it as read, so it's frequently not read.
13 > > elog is not an adequate solution.
14 >
15 > Emm, That would depend upon the viewer I'd think. elogs are saved in a
16 > directory, and so the only way they would disappear is if the user chose to
17 > delete them (or the viewer did it for them).
18
19 Ooops, I guess they are only saved if it's explicity enabled, there goes that
20 idea :/
23 > > > When I think of news I think of things that are
24 > > > required to do or my system will break. That is what I want out of
25 > > > news. I can't see how deprecated syntax fits that defination. The
26 > > > program should warn when it finds deprecated syntax, and the users
27 > > > will then know. Or if the users ignore it, then when the support is
28 > > > removed and the package errors, the user fixes it then without any
29 > > > major headache. It sure isn't something that will break a users
30 > > > system utterly if its not acted upon.
31 > >
32 > > It's something that is of sufficient interest to those who will read
33 > > the news item that a news item is warranted.
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list