From: Dan Meltzer <hydrogen@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [news-item] Paludis 0.24
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 00:05:25
1 On Friday 04 May 2007 7:52:46 pm Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 4 May 2007 19:48:19 -0400
3 >
4 > Dan Meltzer <hydrogen@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > That seems like a really bad road to go down.
6 > >
7 > > Would it not be better to extend elog to alert people at the end of
8 > > an install as well?
9 >
10 > Doesn't help. It's only there once, and it's easy to ignore. Users
11 > don't have to explicitly mark it as read, so it's frequently not read.
12 > elog is not an adequate solution.
13
14 Emm, That would depend upon the viewer I'd think. elogs are saved in a
15 directory, and so the only way they would disappear is if the user chose to
16 delete them (or the viewer did it for them).
17 >
18 > > When I think of news I think of things that are
19 > > required to do or my system will break. That is what I want out of
20 > > news. I can't see how deprecated syntax fits that defination. The
21 > > program should warn when it finds deprecated syntax, and the users
22 > > will then know. Or if the users ignore it, then when the support is
23 > > removed and the package errors, the user fixes it then without any
24 > > major headache. It sure isn't something that will break a users
25 > > system utterly if its not acted upon.
26 >
27 > It's something that is of sufficient interest to those who will read
28 > the news item that a news item is warranted.
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list