From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [news-item] Paludis 0.24
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 23:56:27
1 On Fri, 4 May 2007 19:48:19 -0400
2 Dan Meltzer <hydrogen@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > That seems like a really bad road to go down.
4 >
5 > Would it not be better to extend elog to alert people at the end of
6 > an install as well?
7
8 Doesn't help. It's only there once, and it's easy to ignore. Users
9 don't have to explicitly mark it as read, so it's frequently not read.
10 elog is not an adequate solution.
11
12 > When I think of news I think of things that are
13 > required to do or my system will break. That is what I want out of
14 > news. I can't see how deprecated syntax fits that defination. The
15 > program should warn when it finds deprecated syntax, and the users
16 > will then know. Or if the users ignore it, then when the support is
17 > removed and the package errors, the user fixes it then without any
18 > major headache. It sure isn't something that will break a users
19 > system utterly if its not acted upon.
20
21 It's something that is of sufficient interest to those who will read
22 the news item that a news item is warranted.
25 Ciaran McCreesh