From: Dan Meltzer <hydrogen@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [news-item] Paludis 0.24
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 23:51:52
1 On Friday 04 May 2007 6:58:44 pm Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 4 May 2007 18:50:00 -0400
3 >
4 > Dan Meltzer <hydrogen@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > How does this fit the following parts of the GLEP?
6 > >
7 > > "Preemptive
8 >
9 > Preemptiveness is not a requirement for this particular news item. It's
10 > necessary in many places but not this one.
11 >
12 > > Additionally, what about this is so critical that it will not allow
13 > > elog to be used?
14 >
15 > Experience with other repositories has shown that if it's in elog, many
16 > people won't see or read it, whereas if it's in a news item they will.
17 > Placing it in a news item will significantly reduce the upstream
18 > support load.
19
20 That seems like a really bad road to go down.
21
22 Would it not be better to extend elog to alert people at the end of an install
23 as well? When I think of news I think of things that are required to do or
24 my system will break. That is what I want out of news. I can't see how
25 deprecated syntax fits that defination. The program should warn when it
26 finds deprecated syntax, and the users will then know. Or if the users
27 ignore it, then when the support is removed and the package errors, the user
28 fixes it then without any major headache. It sure isn't something that will
29 break a users system utterly if its not acted upon.
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list