From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] College Course in Gentoo Development
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 21:35:44
1 On 12/17/2012 10:32 AM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > Give the talk on the list about attracting devs, I've should probably
5 > mention that I'm teaching a College Course on Gentoo Development next
6 > semester. I know two students will most likely go through the
7 > recruitment process, others may at least contribute. So its like GSoC
8 > but the focus is not one project but an overview of general gentoo
9 > development, and I will have to touch on lots of stuff outside of gentoo
10 > per se, like how autotools and other build systems work.
13 This is a great idea, and is essentially the "pay someone to recruit"
14 approach taken to an extreme. I would be willing to pay for a class like
15 this (online or otherwise) if it meant that there were a clear set of
16 goals, which if met, meant that I'd become a developer.
17
18 Why can't something like this *be* the recruiting process? Put up a
19 syllabus. The "wait to be noticed" process is so vague as to be useless.