From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Secure Gentoo - What do you think?
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:29:37
1 On Thursday 10 January 2002 13:24, you wrote:
2 > From what I have understood, eclasses is primarily about bringing a few of
3 > the OOP principles to bash scripts. As a computer-linguist, I find this
4 > attempt misguided at best, but as a system administrator/bash script
5 > hacker, I find the idea appealing.
6 Well, it's priamrily about bringing one principle to bash, and that is code
7 reuse (which isn't even strictly OOP). Things like variable scope/visibility
8 (which doesn't really exist in bash) tend to poke spikes into the wheels.
11 > Since eclasses are associated with a learning curve, would it not be
12 > preferrable to recast the whole inheritance thing in a proper
13 > object-oriented language and rather build a support framework for it there
14 > ?
15 Well, the big idea behind ebuilds in general is to make them as similar to
16 compiling a package by hand (i.e. from a bash shell) as possible. Of course,
17 eclasses are already sufficiently unlike that, but moving to python would
18 still make things worse. For one thing, not everyone knows python as well as
19 they do bash (me included).
20
21 I think that right now I should update/cleanup the eclass howto. I'll make a
22 short, readable document. So, to work :-)
26 Dan Armak
27 Gentoo Linux, Desktop Team
28 Matan, Israel