From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Secure Gentoo - What do you think?
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 05:40:38
1 On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 11:10:39AM -0600, Damon M. Conway wrote:
2 > Mikael Hallendal wrote:
3 > >tis 2002-01-08 klockan 16.54 skrev Damon M. Conway:
4 > >
5 > >> I think this is where eclasses could really help. Eclasses should allow
6 > >> you to create a meta ebuild that looks for certain make.conf vars set and
7 > >> react accordingly. danarmak and drobbins are the ones to ask for more
8 > >> details on eclasses.
9 > >
10 > >For now eclasses should _only_ be used in KDE. A decission still has to
11 > >be made about eclasses. And both me and drobbins have some objections to
12 > >eclasses.
13 >
14 > Hmm, ok. I thought they were on their way to finalization.
15 >
16 > >For one I think that eclasses break one of ebuilds most important
17 > >strength. The ease of use, that they are almost identical to installing
18 > >a package manually.
19 >
20 > Depends on usage. I think eclasses could be quite powerful for
21 > cross-platform capabilities and system types (SuxOS, Web Server, etc), and
22 > they, in theory, can pick up the global configuation baton where make.conf
23 > leaves off. As long as they are well-defined, I don't see how they really
24 > cause any problems, or make ebuilds any harder to write.
25
26 >From what I have understood, eclasses is primarily about bringing a few of
27 the OOP principles to bash scripts. As a computer-linguist, I find this
28 attempt misguided at best, but as a system administrator/bash script
29 hacker, I find the idea appealing.
30
31 Since eclasses are associated with a learning curve, would it not be
32 preferrable to recast the whole inheritance thing in a proper
33 object-oriented language and rather build a support framework for it there
34 ?
35
36 For instance, use scsh (okay, okay, so Scheme might not be popular with
37 the crowd) or Python. If you take a look at SCons, you'll see Make recast
38 into Python, with all the benefits that gives you (stable, clean,
39 well-known language, lots of documentation, lots of support libraries,
40 cross-platform runtime).
41
42 Just stirring things up since the eclasses debate seems to be coming
43 regardless.
46 Karl T