From: "Damon M. Conway" <damon@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Secure Gentoo - What do you think?
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 11:10:39
1 Mikael Hallendal wrote:
2 >tis 2002-01-08 klockan 16.54 skrev Damon M. Conway:
3 >
4 >> I think this is where eclasses could really help. Eclasses should allow
5 >> you to create a meta ebuild that looks for certain make.conf vars set and
6 >> react accordingly. danarmak and drobbins are the ones to ask for more
7 >> details on eclasses.
8 >
9 >For now eclasses should _only_ be used in KDE. A decission still has to
10 >be made about eclasses. And both me and drobbins have some objections to
11 >eclasses.
12
13 Hmm, ok. I thought they were on their way to finalization.
14
15 >For one I think that eclasses break one of ebuilds most important
16 >strength. The ease of use, that they are almost identical to installing
17 >a package manually.
18
19 Depends on usage. I think eclasses could be quite powerful for
20 cross-platform capabilities and system types (SuxOS, Web Server, etc), and
21 they, in theory, can pick up the global configuation baton where make.conf
22 leaves off. As long as they are well-defined, I don't see how they really
23 cause any problems, or make ebuilds any harder to write.
24
25 kabau
28 "UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
29 would also stop you from doing clever things." --Doug Gwyn