From: Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some ideas on how to reduce territoriality
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 22:23:41
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 [snip]
5 > There's a couple more that I wouldn't mind seeing as things developers
6 > can do without the maintainer, but I can see how these might be a bit
7 > more controversial, so I'm asking for input.
8 >
9 > - Version bumps where the only requirement is to "cp" the ebuild
10 This is more on a per package basis. it's not fair to force the maintainer to
11 support a new version before he feels it's ready. For example, I'd love to
12 bump games-simulation/simutrans but Mr_Bones_ claims it's unstable and doesn't
13 want it bumped. It wouldn't be fair to him for me to bump it unless I took the
14 burden of support.
15
16 > - (for arch teams) Stabilization of new revisions of an already stable
17 > package - An example of this would be being able to stabilize foo-1.0-r2
18 > if foo-1.0 (or foo-1.0-r1) is already stable, but not if only foo-0.9 is
19 > stable.
20 arch teams are the definitive authority on keywording for their arch. That
21 said, if there is a disagreement between maintainer and arch team, the support
22 burden falls on whoever did the keyword. Teamwork should solve this problem
23 every time.
24
25 I think the territoriality issue is one of support burden more than anything else.
26
27 --taco
28 --
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list