From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some ideas on how to reduce territoriality
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 22:51:42
1 On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 15:19 -0700, Mike Doty wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > [snip]
6 > > There's a couple more that I wouldn't mind seeing as things developers
7 > > can do without the maintainer, but I can see how these might be a bit
8 > > more controversial, so I'm asking for input.
9 > >
10 > > - Version bumps where the only requirement is to "cp" the ebuild
11 > This is more on a per package basis. it's not fair to force the maintainer to
12 > support a new version before he feels it's ready. For example, I'd love to
13 > bump games-simulation/simutrans but Mr_Bones_ claims it's unstable and doesn't
14 > want it bumped. It wouldn't be fair to him for me to bump it unless I took the
15 > burden of support.
16
17 This is why I said it should be discussed. Also, it might very likely
18 be better to opt-out rather than opt-in on this. I really don't know,
19 myself.
20
21 > > - (for arch teams) Stabilization of new revisions of an already stable
22 > > package - An example of this would be being able to stabilize foo-1.0-r2
23 > > if foo-1.0 (or foo-1.0-r1) is already stable, but not if only foo-0.9 is
24 > > stable.
25 > arch teams are the definitive authority on keywording for their arch. That
26 > said, if there is a disagreement between maintainer and arch team, the support
27 > burden falls on whoever did the keyword. Teamwork should solve this problem
28 > every time.
29
30 Well, I meant that this should be doable without the maintainer's
31 consent. Meaning, I ask you to stabilize 1.0-r1 and a few weeks later,
32 you can decide to stabilize -r2 without me having to file a bug.
33 Basically, the maintainer decides the minimal revision he wants to go
34 stable (so bugs are fixed, etc) but the revisions after that are up to
35 the arch teams, unless the maintainer sees a need for everyone to update
36 (major bug, security). My main goal here is to reduce the "we have to
37 wait on the maintainer to ask" issue within a given version of a
38 package.
41 Chris Gianelloni
42 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
43 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
44 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
45 Gentoo Foundation